[cairo] cmyk support in Inkscape/Cairo

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Sep 26 13:39:12 PDT 2008

Am 26.09.08, 13:06 -0700 schrieb Carl Worth:
> On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 16:58 -0300, Felipe Sanches wrote:
> > what is the current status of cmyk support in inkscape? what about
> > cmyk in cairo?
>
> There's nothing in cairo currently, though the topic comes up every once
> in a while.
>
> > Any suggestions about what should be preferably done?
> >
> > Would it be better to focus on cairo cmyk development?
> >
> > Which cmyk features are needed and currently not implemented?
>
> For cairo, it's really a matter of users with actual needs telling us
> what they need, (that could be inkscape developers, for example). And
> then, together, we'll try to come up with the most "cairo-like" way of
> exposing the functionality.

Assumed that the input is in a homogenous colour space, it would be
sufficient to have a nice Cmyk + Alpha coding.
More advanced would be to support
* higher bit depths 10 bit per sample and more (even 16-bit float could
  improve here, it would improve to load 16-bit PNG's and OpenEXR)
* n-channels

Additional colour management support would help in keeping the output
flexible according to the backend capabilities. (still on my own TODO)

> At that point, we'd have an API specified and if someone wanted to hire
> someone to implement it, then that might be feasible.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management