[cairo] install failure

John Delacour johndelacour at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 01:18:14 PST 2009

At 01:56 -0700 25/1/09, Dan Ventura wrote:

>...I'm trying to install cairo on my MacBook Pro (running OS X
>10.5.5) using MacPorts. ÊThe install fails at two points, with the
>build output looking like this:
>
>---> ÊConfiguring cairo
>Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
>shell command " cd
>"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_cairo/work/cairo-1.8.6"
>&& ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --disable-glitz --disable-xcb
>--enable-ft --enable-pdf --enable-png --enable-ps --enable-svg
>--enable-xlib --enable-xlib-xrender --with-x --enable-quartz
>--enable-quartz-font --enable-quartz-image " returned error 1
>... enabled... no (requires zlib
><http://www.gzip.org/zlib/>http://www.gzip.org/zlib/)
>configure: error: recommended PostScript surface backend feature
>could not be enabled
>
>Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

I had a lot of trouble installing cairo in 10.4.11 a few weeks ago
but I got there in the end.  I meant to keep the logs but finally
couldn't be bothered.    When you run "port installed" do you see
zlib?  If not, try "sudo port install zlib" and see if there's a
problem with that.  All I know is that after going up a lot of blind
alleys I got cairo installed without messing about with config files
and makefiles.

Good luck.

JD