[cairo] Discussion: LCD Filtering API

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Thu Jan 29 01:14:38 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Lance Hepler <nlhepler at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's a very interesting plan. I can understand its usefulness for
> cross-platform consistency. And I don't mean to attack your hard effort, but
> is that really practical? Each platform (Windows/Mac/*nix) has its own
> font-handling stack, and in the case of the two former, a certain
> look-and-feel of the font rasterization (Cleartype/Whatever-Apple-does) that
> is native to each platform. Users of these platforms sort of expect
> consistency in the font rendering, and moving all the rasterization into
> cairo would make it harder for developers to build applications on these
> platforms that "blend in" with the native environments. Is that sort of
> behavior desirable? I mean, I realize having consistent behavior between
> platforms is desirable, but I am uncertain as to the usefulness in this
> case.

I agree. We're very interested in having cross-platform shaping code in
Gecko, but users really seem to want text rasterization that's consistent
with other apps on the platform. I guess we don't mind if Linux/X/GTK font
rasterization is in cairo, as long as we don't have to use it on the other
platforms.

Rob
53:5-6]