[cairo] cairo snapshot 1.9.2 now available

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Jun 15 11:54:04 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 20:38 +0200, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
> I already expressed interest in this and requested advice on this
> mailing-list on the legality of implementing such a backend from the
> microsoft specifications. i.e., will the resulting code be legally
> redistributable within cairo and linux distributions if we read the
> microsoft specifications ?

Writing code based on publically-available specifications, (and using
the licenses of cairo: LGPL and MPL for the resulting implementation),
is just fine.

The only potential problem one might run into would be software patents
(in some parts of the world at least). But from what I've seen, that's a
problem that comes as soon as you start typing any code at all. It's not
obvious that following any specification makes it worse.