[cairo] windows fonts bug

Kozhevnikov Mikhail mikhailkozhevnikov at yandex.ru
Wed Oct 14 08:54:03 PDT 2009

Hi All,

There was a bug (see code and resulting picture attached) in cairo on Windows we've discussed in the thread "Toy text api, PNG, and magic numbers" some time ago. Jonathan Kew proposed an uncomplicated patch by Mozilla (http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/gfx/cairo/win32-cleartype-clipping.patch?raw=1) which does solve the problem.

Why not include the patch in the next release?

I've verified that the bug persists in cairo 1.8.8.

I admit the problem occurs frequently only in some special cases and has several solutions, simplest one being to avoid using Windows fonts.

Best regards,
Mikhail.