[cairo] fontconfig compile error

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Sep 29 10:50:11 PDT 2009

On 29 Sep 2009, at 18:31, cu wrote:

> Depending on what you do, another option which we pursued is to get
> rid
> of FontConfig alltogether.
>
> It isn't all that useful and, frankly, since there is no guarantee
> that
> appropriate fonts will be on target system, we opted for simply
> bundling
> fonts with application and ditching Fontconfig. Problem solved, and
> our
> application gained a more uniform look.

Just a note to emphasize the "depending on..." aspect of this.

Whether this is a reasonable approach depends very much on what you're
doing. Your application may have gained a more uniform look across
various systems; but on the other hand, it's likely that on some of
those systems, it does not blend in as well with the rest of the
user's desktop environment.

Evaluating the trade-offs for a particular kind of application, a
particular target audience, etc., is left as an exercise.... :)

JK