[cairo] Subtractive API, part 0

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Feb 3 13:45:02 PST 2010

On Feb 3, 2010, at 11:33 AM, ecir hana wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>
>> Why should every application have to do such a fundamental task? This is currently how it works on OS X. It's more optional on Windows 7.
>
>> This is entirely boolean logic, it's just a matter of flowcharting it, making decision of what portions are doable in a reasonable time frame, and making it feature set upgradeable without breakage from the get go. So yes it could be done, it's just a matter of where. A catch with open source is there are a bunch of parts and less centralized agreement on how to communicate color spaces between applications, services, window server and print pipeline.
>
> What about Windows XP? I understand what you are saying (I hope). I
> replied to Christoph Lindemann, who raised similar topic....

Windows XP is in practice the same. Although the guts are totally different. XP is based on ICM 2.0, whereas starting in Vista as well as Windows 7, they move to WCS 1.0. However ICM 3.0 essentially runs "on top of" WCS. So all the legacy APIs of ICM from XP are present, but the "engine" doing the work is WCS in any case, as far as I understand it.

In terms of how involved or uninvolved the OS gets, Windows 7 and XP are the same. The OS needs to be explicitly invited to the party to perform any conversions - and by invited, I mean by an application (or print driver).

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
New York, NY