[cairo] 1.10 release schedule

Travis Griggs tgriggs at cincom.com
Sat Jan 9 00:52:38 PST 2010

On Jan 8, 2010, at 2:13 PM, Brent Fulgham wrote:

> While you are probably right, the unfortunate fact is that the
> number of developers familiar with Windows, who are willing to work
> on Open Source software, is relatively small.  Most Windows
> developers seem perfectly content to focus on whatever API is
> currently being touted as the new standard by Microsoft.

I don't think this is entirely correct, personally. I've seen a number
of people come and go and try Windows. There's a catch 22 here. I post
the jst of this post every year it seems. I'm very grateful to the
primary developers behind Cairo. Many of them do primarily *nix
derived work. I can't fault them for doing what they do well. The
build system is maintained by people who are very comfortable with
autotools. I personally think they're the biggest viral disaster that
the GNU folks ever churned out, but it works, for a lot of stuff. Not
really sure I'm adding anything substantive to the discussion here.
Behdad maintains the build system and maintains it well. Until someone
steps forward with a build system that is simpler and more cross
platform, and a willingness to maintain it for the long haul, the
autostuff that Behdad has done is going to persist probably. There has
never been any clear direction indicating what would happen if indeed
someone did step forward with a revised build system that was more
platform agnostic, so I think no one's in a hurry to expend the
effort, not knowing what would happen at the end anyway.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist