[cairo] cairo_hint_style_t and FreeType

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Jan 12 12:06:13 PST 2010

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:19:06 +0000, Freddie Witherden <freddie at witherden.org> wrote:
> Hence, I am proposing that rather than the arbitrary, FreeType specific
> constants SLIGHT (y-axis), MEDIUM (x- & y-axes) and FULL  (more aggressive x-
> & y-axes, often the same as MEDIUM) that a series of new constants are added
> to the enum, being CAIRO_HINT_STYLE_Y, CAIRO_HINT_STYLE_X_AND_Y. This will be
> clearer for developers (who often are unsure about the meanings of SLIGHT,
> MEDIUM and FULL) and have a physical significance.

I definitely do prefer names like those that actually describe the
different effect in more concrete, qualitative terms. That does seem
more useful than the existing distinctions, (where I personally wouldn't
choose anything other than "none" or "full" because it's not clear what
"slight" and "medium" even mean).

Behdad, any feedback here?

Meanwhile, it seems to me that much of this specification is actually
happening via fontconfig in practice, (and the same might be true for
the lcd-filtering configuration), so the actual cairo API here might not
be significant for many applications.