[cairo] Spot colors (and CMYK)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Jan 12 12:16:05 PST 2010

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:31:12 +0100, ecir hana <ecir.hana at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I've seen some messages about adding spot colors (or named color, or
> Separation and DeviceN in PDF specs terms) some time ago. Or perhaps
> even adding CMYK as well.
> Please, does anyone know if there has been any developments in that
> direction? Is it perhaps planned to include spot colors in the future?
> Or, is this not very central to the current development?

From time to time, the cairo community sees a message like yours where
we clearly have users interested in these features.

But we haven't had much in the way of concrete API proposals (nor
implementations to go along with them!). And it seems that the current
set of cairo maintainers do not have the expertise to come up with
either of these on their own.

So I think we're going to need some further input from *somebody* before
we'll see concrete progress on this front.

Do you know of anyone (perhaps yourself) that could provide some or all
of the following:

  * Concrete use case to describe what is missing at the
    application<->cairo boundary.

  * A concrete API proposal to satisfy that use case, (and a minimal API
    that doesn't multiply existing cairo entry points exponentially).

  * An implementation of that API.

I'm looking forward to further input here, since I'd love to be able to
say that cairo has a good answer for people needing whatever is missing
here.