[cairo] Sub-pixel Font Filtering in 1.10

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Jan 12 16:01:24 PST 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:52:34 -0600, Brandon Wright <bearoso at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's important to understand that no one's talking about exposing these
> settings in the Cairo API--just providing complete configuration for
> the font backend. It's irrelevant what you call them inside Cairo
> because these settings are already named and widely used with
> Fontconfig, Qt, and third-party patches. The only person who's going
> to see what they're called is whoever is working on the Cairo
> internals.

Maybe I misread the patch, but I thought I saw things like
CAIRO_LCD_FILTER_FIR3 being added to cairo.h.

If the patch is just hooking up fontconfig-configured items to freetype,
then I have no place to object about the naming, (since it's happening
entirely outside of cairo). In that case, I'll agree with you that
it's just an internal issue.

> You're being very non-objective.

Absolutely. That's why I said "that's just my opinion".

Recognizing my non-objectivity, I also said that I would accept having
configuration options in cairo to support people with different opinions
that want different behavior.