[cairo] Cairo, pango and Win32.. incorrect font rendering

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 18 12:59:07 PST 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 15:54 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 01/18/2010 03:51 PM, Peter Clifton wrote:

> >> The resolution set there is used to convert from font size in points to font
> >> size in cairo user units.  A number in the tens of thousands doesn't make
> >> sense to me.
> >
> > No - it isn't obvious where that number has come from. My win32-debug-fu
> > is pretty low unfortunately - I can't really think how best to
> > instrument or debug the issue.
> >
> > Where is the calculation which comes up with the font-size it should ask
> > Windows for?
>
> I'm not well-versed in the win32 code.
>
> There's not much I can help with given the current information.  Tor may have
> ideas.

I think I "might" have figured it out..

> (gschem.exe:3036): Pango-WARNING **: couldn't load font "Arial 10 400000", falli
> ng back to "Sans 400000", expect ugly output.

Compare to the font description my code issues:

177   font_string = g_strdup_printf ("%s %f\n", FONT_NAME, font_size_pt);

I believe (although this is unconfirmed) that my colleagues with the
issue are in locales where "," is the decimal point separator.

What if my code is asking for:

Arial 10,400000

E.g. 10.4 point font?

Again, I don't know the easiest way to test this hypothesis - or where
the bug actually lies.

Do Pango font descriptions allow floating point? If so, is the decimal
separator "." or does it follow the system locale?

Best regards,

Peter C.