[cairo] Sub-pixel Font Filtering in 1.10

Behdad Esfahbod behdad.esfahbod at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 17:47:07 PST 2010

On 01/12/2010 07:01 PM, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:52:34 -0600, Brandon Wright <bearoso at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's important to understand that no one's talking about exposing these
>> settings in the Cairo API--just providing complete configuration for
>> the font backend. It's irrelevant what you call them inside Cairo
>> because these settings are already named and widely used with
>> Fontconfig, Qt, and third-party patches. The only person who's going
>> to see what they're called is whoever is working on the Cairo
>> internals.
>
> Maybe I misread the patch, but I thought I saw things like
> CAIRO_LCD_FILTER_FIR3 being added to cairo.h.

We do want something like that exposed in cairo-ft.h or cairo.h.  Otherwise
the functionality would be incomplete, and for example can't be used by GTK+
sine GTK+ uses XSETTINGS for font options, on top of fontconfig.

behdad

PS. The thread is long, I try to reply succinctly to the issues I disagree with.