[cairo] cairo-with-xlib-xrender rendering is not proper

prudhvi raj prudhviraj.v at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 00:11:45 PST 2010

Hello,

I am trying to port gtk-x11 on to an ARM platform and check the rendering
performance of gtk on tinyx. For that i compiled cairo-x11 with xlib-xrender
enabled. But when i run any application that uses cairo the fonts are not
rendered properly and some black boxes are overlapping the some characters
of the string and some extra lines are coming behind some characters (as
shown in the attached screenshot of gtkperf application that uses cairo with
xlib-xreneder option enabled). But if i compile cairo by disabling
xlib-xreneder the display is good and fonts are displayed properly, but the
time taken for rendering is increasing two times. I think as xrender takes
advantage of acceleration available in tinyx/x11 it is speeding up the
rendering. But i didnt make any changes in either xrender code or cairo
code.

    Can anyone identify the reason for this improper display if we enable
xlib-xrender option in cairo. Is it a bug in cairo/xrender implementation or
we are missing some thing else in the configuration?? The configuration
settings we are using is mentioned below.

we are using cairo-1.8.0, gtk+-2.12.3, pango-1.22.1, fontconfig-2.6.0,
freetype-2.3.7, pixman-0.12.0 and tinyx server xorg-server-1.5.1 (R7.4
release) and arm-v7 toolchain used for cross compilation.

cairo configuration settings:

./configure --enable-xlib --enable-xlib-xrender --disable-pdf --disable-ps
--disable-svg --enable-png=yes --with-x --disable-some-floating-point

*please find the attached screen-shots which could explain the above
mentioned rendering problem.*