[cairo] Cairo GLES2.0 backend

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Mon Nov 15 20:10:23 PST 2010

On 11/15/2010 05:00 PM, Alexandros Frantzis wrote:
> Hi all!

Hi =)

> One of the main goals of the Linaro graphics working group ([1], [2])
> for this cycle is the implementation of a GLES2.0 backend for cairo. The
> main plan is to use the existing GL backend and modify/extend that
> instead of starting yet another backend.

I'm interested on the subject as well, I'm not upstream though

> The current work plan can be found at:
>
> https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/Middleware/Graphics/Specs/1105/CairoGLES2Backend
>
> This is still tentative and will be greatly influenced by the feedback
> received from the list. The goal is to work closely with upstream and
> any other groups that are working on this, so that we can together
> achieve the best possible results.

Regarding web support, you should consider openvg as well.

> 2. Is there upstream interest for a GLES2.0 backend? Is anyone aware of
>    an effort to introduce GLES2.0 compatibility to the GL backend (or a
>    completely new backend)?

I had a look some time ago, there were few gl2 parts were incompatible
with gles2, the main problem is that everything is a bit too much tangled.

> 3. In order to reduce code complexity and maintenance issues I was
>    thinking it would be better to provide a single backend for GL >= 2.0
>    and GLES2.0, either by using only GL2.0/GLES2.0 compatible
>    functionality or at least by maximizing code sharing and minimizing
>    special cases.

glMapBuffer/UnmapBuffer are the major offenders, but surely I'm
overlooking a lot.

Nice to know other people are interested on it =)

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux