[cairo] Cairo with OpenGLES

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Tue Aug 16 03:23:58 PDT 2011

On 7/22/11 12:39 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 13:02:53 +0300, Alexandros Frantzis<alexandros.frantzis at linaro.org>  wrote:
>> cairo trunk contains a working gl/gles2 backend (gles 1.1 is not
>> supported). There are some things that still need work, like shader
>> workarounds for platforms that don't support GL_OES_texture_npot and
>> also proper support for reading from/writing to image surfaces (e.g. if
>> they have a pixel format not natively supported by GLES2). Another
>> important aspect is performance optimizations.
>
> And the critical item on my list there is a high-level interface for the
> GL backend. We're using the tessellation routines designed for xrender all
> too frequently, and not taking advantage of simple geometry...
>
> And Andrea has got me excited about doing cairo_shape_t again. The benefit
> here is that it is meant to be a backend cache of the tessellated
> geometry. That would require application level support to fully exploit.
> -Chris

Might be nice also split egl from gles2 so vg might get more
consideration and people with a separate 2d vector unit might enjoy it.

Yes, I know that there are bugs, yes, I know that vg implementations
aren't as well behaving as gles2, but still having a nicer support would
help mesa to bugfix their implementation.

lu