[cairo] Issues with Store-Bought v. Home-Grown builds of Cairo

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Fri Jan 21 12:21:36 PST 2011

On Jan 21, 2011, at 1:21 PM, Andrea Canciani wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org>
> wrote:
>> <snipped>
>
> AFAIK the are no major cons against statically linking pixman and
> cairo.
> Please report any problem you get when doing so.
OK. I will give that a try, liking statically would be better for my
purposes.

>> <snipped>
>
> My guess is that the "store-bought" cairo library has XRender enabled.
> Please try enabling xlib-xrender and check if you get the expected
> speedup.
>
> This enable server-side compositing of images and thus is a feature
> you
> probably want to enable. It can have a huge impact on performance.

Using --enable-xlib-xrender does seem to do the trick on my mac
platform. Thanks, Andrea! Building libXrender from source on the
CentOS platform is a temporary roadblock for testing in that
environment. I will keep pecking at it and make sure that the dreadful
slowness is completely gone. I really appreciate the fast feedback to
get me moving forward again...
--Jennifer