[cairo] Cairo and ISO C++

Herb Sutter herb.sutter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 18:23:04 PST 2013

Hi, my name is Herb Sutter and I chair the ISO C++ standards committee.
Behdad referred me to this list as the right place to raise this question:

We are actively looking at the potential standardization of a basic 2D
drawing library for ISO C++, and would like to base it on (or outright
adopt, possibly as a binding) solid prior art in the form of an existing
library. You can find a quick summary of goals and discussions to date in
these two papers:

*         http://isocpp.org/files/papers/n3791.html

*         http://isocpp.org/files/papers/N3825.pdf

As noted in the latter paper, we are currently investigating the direction
of proposing a mechanically C++-ified version of Cairo. Specifically,
"mechanically C++-ified" means taking Cairo as-is and transforming it with a
one-page list of mechanical changes such as turning _create functions into
constructors, (mystruct*, int length) function parameters to vector<struct>&
parameters, that sort of thing - the design and abstractions and functions
are unchanged. This would also allow us to track Cairo as it evolves in the
future, by continuing to reapply the same rules to new updates to Cairo.

We know about Cairomm but it seems to have languished so we are focused on
current Cairo as a starting point, even though it's not C++ -- we believe
Cairo itself it is very well written C (already in an OO style, already
const-correct, etc.).

We want to make sure we're doing this in the right way and with the group's
approval, so your feedback would be much appreciated. Also, we might want to
reuse parts of the Cairo documentation in our specification, which we
understand is governed by MPL 1.1, and we would like to know if this would
be all right with your group.

Thanks, and best wishes,

Herb