[cairo] Tentative patch for downscaling in Cairo

Krzysztof Kosiński tweenk.pl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 20:03:36 PDT 2013

Hello

I had a look at how complex would it be to add correct downscaling to
Cairo now that Pixman supports convolution filters. It turns out it
this is rather easy. Here is an initial, minimal attempt. It uses
convolution filters only if the image is being downscaled by more than
half a pixel in at least one dimension.

Some discussion:

1. The sampling and reconstruction kernels are picked in a way that
gives comparable quality when upscaling and downscaling. I paired box
sampling with bilinear reconstruction and impulse (point) sampling
with box reconstruction. This gives the expected result for NEAREST
filter. BEST filter uses Lanczos3 for both kernels.

2. Subsampling bits are always set to 1, since this doesn't seem to
affect quality at all.

3. I am not sure whether this code works correctly for matrices with a
skew component. It should be OK for any combination of scale, rotation
and translation.

4. This patch causes new failures in the test suite:
- recording-surface*: possibly an effect of improved quality.
- surface-pattern-scale-down*, surface-pattern-big-scale-down: the
reference images should be updated.
- pthread-same-source: I have no idea why this is failing, since this
test shouldn't even trigger the new code.
- large-source-roi: this test attempts to downscale an image which is
30000 pixels wide down to 7 pixels. The filter parameters seem to be
created correctly, but they might trigger an overflow somewhere in the
convolution code; the output rectangle is white instead of red, as if
nothing was drawn.
- device-offset-scale: there are subtle differences which look like
convolution-related smoothing; I'm not sure whether this is OK or not.

Note that master currently fails many more tests, I only listed new
failures cause by this patch.

Regards, Krzysztof Kosiński