show text utf8 missing glyphs

Steven J Abner pheonix.sja at att.net
Tue Mar 5 19:17:59 UTC 2024

This may be a little late, and hog-wash but:
only info found on subject was post from 18 years ago.

On a project, I created a text displaying draw routine. It uses
cairo_show_text().
Relative information, is it tries to avoid most gtk, doesn't use pango
or cairopango.
It relies heavy on C language, cairo, and gdk, in that order. Basically
creates
objects/interaces that you cant create in gtk and should be able to do
on linux, etc.

Tried using cairo glyphs, scaled fonts, and different ways of
pango/pangocairo.
Finally went back to the best and independent cairo. Knew it was
capable because
of a demo I created a few years back had the basic concept. I needed to
be able
to draw out a locale file that reads/writes number systems. It contains
numbers
that are utf8 and was used on my proof-of-concept testing. There is no
attempt at
handling directional encoding! LOL, actual drew test the way I wanted
design in the
first place. This is just a fall-back for missing codes, and only uses
sans.

So, after the long winded intro, I send proof-of-concept code
attachment, with the
relevant code pieces added to my project in hopes to contribute? spark
debate or
laugh at the kook. I am aware you use Freetype as a backend, and have
no idea how to
insert/modify existing cairo code to create a patch. Also note from me,
my text display
draws some better than the gtk text display, cairo rocks!

Steve