[Xr] Dealing with groups in Xr

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Thu Apr 24 07:32:57 PDT 2003

On Apr 24, Owen Taylor wrote:
 > It strikes me that making the user worry about the bounding
 > box of primitives drawn onto the temporary group is wrong; if creating
 > larger empty pixmaps becomes a time or memory bottleneck, it can
 > certainly be optimized out, at the cost of a moderate amount
 > of complexity. (For instance, with a tiled representation of the
 > surface.)

Good point. I think we're close to understanding what the three new
functions should do now. And we just need the names...

 > Just as a thought, perhaps Enter/Leave is better than Push/Pop?
 > Push/Pop seems to indicate tat

Owen, did you forget to finish this thought? I'm curious what you were
going to say.

I'd at least like a name that suggests that the groups can be nested
and I don't know if Enter/Leave does that for me, (though I'm not sure
why). Maybe Begin/End?

 > Though something even stronger would be appreciated; I'd like to be able
 > to set an OOM  handler that simply aborted the program, so that you
 > didn't have to check your XrCreateSurface() and nothing else in the GTK+
 > program.

This seems reasonable.

As of yet, Xr doesn't have any callbacks. If we add some we'll also
have to address the issue of locking within Xr.

Carl Worth
USC Information Sciences Institute                      cworth at isi.edu