[Cairo] Window manager

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Tue Aug 5 00:35:25 PDT 2003

On Monday 04 August 2003 01:32 pm, Josh Hansen wrote:
> I posted something about this on xwin.org (my tag is 'evilyoda') and
> wanted to know what everybody thinks about it:
>     Couldn't cairo be used to create a new window manager for X in which
> ever window, every element, is integrated into a PDF-like rendering
> model? This would allow eye candy and hardware acceleration similar to
> OS X, wouldn't it? Tell me if I'm wrong...

Sounds more like you want to replace the server, not the window manager. I
think replacing the server with something that understands Cairo directly is
the ultimate goal of this.

Then it may be possible to tell the server to direct all operations to a
printing surface, and then redraw all the windows. This would produce a
non-pixelatted pdf version of the screen.

With the current Cairo designs on X, the best a Cairo window manager could do
is print a representaion of the screen where the window borders look really
nice, but the contents of the windows are just pixelatted screen captures.
Perhaps some applications could cooperate in some new interface and send
Cairo printing over a pipe when requested by the window manager, so they
print nice, but not all applications will.

--
     /\_       _|_========___         Bill Spitzak