[Cairo] Window manager

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Tue Aug 5 12:05:29 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 05:26 am, Carl Worth wrote:

> As for "replacing the server" the same argument applies. Cairo won't
> be able to significantly improve the appearance of applications
> written to rely on the old model.

What I meant was a server that takes Cairo or something like it as a
communication protocol. Old applications would use an Xlib that translates
the old calls to Cairo, so this would allow improvements of their appearance.

Your same comments about the applications that use local image maps still
applies, nothing can do much about fixing that. However I don't think they
are used as often as you say, certainly every KDE and Gnome app draws all the
GUI controls using normal Xlib and Xft calls. Their "main display" may be an
image, but they can be told to print it themselves so it is ok if it looks
bad in a screen dump.

--
     /\_       _|_========___         Bill Spitzak