[Fontconfig] Re: [Cairo] Text API proposal

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Aug 11 22:45:00 PDT 2003

Around 23 o'clock on Aug 11, Owen Taylor wrote:

> None of this works for a printer. Depending on the version of Postscript
> and GDI, one may have a few more features than the other, but neither
> is going to be able to handle the full capabilities of Cairo.
> (Even with GDI+, the details of Alpha compositing modes, etc, are
> different.)

As a first cut, my plan was to simultaneously generate postscript output
and render to a page-sized image at printer resolution (mondo huge).
Areas which PostScript could acurately render would be drawn with
postscript, other areas would be sent as huge images.  Optimizing that to
avoid the huge buffer by saving data in some metafile format might be
generally useful, both to avoid the giant pixmap unless necessary and also
to permit striping of the output.

Hmm.  We could specify a metafile format and require a post-processing
stage to convert that for the printer.  In the best of all possible
worlds, that format could be PDF...

-ketih