[Cairo] Text APIs round 2

Justin Bradford justin at maxwell.compbio.ucsf.edu
Thu Aug 14 17:47:06 PDT 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Carl Worth wrote:

>  > Note that the "toy" font names are explicitly not Fontconfig-specific any
>  > longer.  This maps reasonably well to Fontconfig and Win32; I don't know
>  > about OS X.
>
> What guarantees do we make about how the "family" argument is treated?
> It was proposed to support a reasonable result for a list of a few
> fonts, ("serif", "sans-serif", and "monospace"). Beyond that, do we
> just say that the result of any other name is dependent on the native
> font system?

Yes, I think so. If not a special font name, it should be interpreted by
the underlying native implementation.

The common usage I imagine is this: I have an application drawing some
text, and a pull-down or dialog that lets you choose a different font for
it. The string I get back from that is most likely going to be a
native font identifier (since some native function generated the list of
fonts to offer for selection), and I can now just pass that directly into
the cross-platform font selection function and get reasonable results.

Justin