[Cairo] Text APIs round 2

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Fri Aug 15 10:37:34 PDT 2003

On Aug 14, Keith Packard wrote:
 > We could provide a listing API that returned the set of available families
 > (aside from the 'generic' names described above).  But, that leads us down
 > a rocky road of font information that I'm not sure we want to
 > traverse...

Yes, I don't want to go down that path at all. I think we're steering
clear of that so far.

 > > > 	cairo_font_from_ft_font (cairo_ft_font_t *ft_font);
 >
 > > What are the memory management semantics here? If we're creating a new
 > > object, then consistency suggests the following instead:
 >
 > No, the cairo_font_t is a "part" of the cairo_ft_font_t; this returns only
 > a pointer to the already allocated storage.

OK. In that case, I'll try to think of some way to name the function
so that it's obvious that memory is not being allocated. We might need
something similar for the planned surface abstraction, (though in that
case I was planning on having cairo_image_surface/cairo_x11_surface/etc.
all return pointers to objects of the same type: cairo_surface_t).