[Cairo] Text APIs round 2

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Aug 15 11:20:16 PDT 2003

Around 13 o'clock on Aug 15, Carl Worth wrote:

> Is there a reason this wouldn't be feasible? It seems it would be
> quite simple to allow cheap manipulation of font parameters and only
> select an actual font just before drawing.

Yes, it would be possible, but necessary only for bitmap fonts, which
seems like a lot of expense for this one uncommon case.  The problem is I
can't really tell when a pattern would have matched a bitmap font were it
at a different size, so I will *always* have to search when the
transformation has changed.  But, I bet that won't happen very often and
it's better to get the right answer slowly in weird cases.

Sigh.

-keith