Moderating non-subscriber messages (was: [Cairo] Re: cairo digest, Vol 1 #40 - 1 msg)

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Fri Aug 22 08:15:17 PDT 2003

On Aug 22, Robprichard at aol.com wrote:
 > sending ads to a discussion group BS

The simple way to fix this problem is to change the list to only
accept posts from subscribed members.

But I've hesitated to do that as it puts a burden on subscribers that
use multiple addresses, (the traditional workaround is to subscribe
multiple times and turn off delivery to all addresses but one). But
worse, it discourages new users from sending a query to the list
without subscribing.

What I'd really like to be able to do is to triage all posts from
non-subscribers, requiring an administrator to approve the post before
it is sent on the the list. But I haven't found a way to get mailman
2.0 to do that. With the new hosting being set up now, it would be a
good time to get mailman 2.1 installed which has that exact feature.