[Cairo] Re: [xsvg] cairo_text_extents ?

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Fri Dec 5 17:55:58 PST 2003

On Friday 05 December 2003 12:13 pm, Keith Packard wrote:

> I don't see this as a requirement.  The toy API isn't designed to be
> sufficient for real applications like KDE or Gnome.  Those applications
> already have platform specific code for locating fonts, so there's no
> reason for cairo to attempt to provide an abstract API for them.

It would be nice if the programs using those toolkits be device-independent,
however. But unless a uniform interface for selecting fonts is provided this
is impossible. So all that is going to happen is that each toolkit will
provide it's own string->font converter and these will not match.

I don't understand why you are so against the "toy" interface. I think you
are *VASTLY* underestimating how much people want that interface!

--
     /\_       _|_========___         Bill Spitzak