[cairo] libpixman - libpixregion, libic and slim merged; cairo built with it

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Dec 8 15:18:27 PST 2003

For fun I took what Carl said in November:
  One part of the plan is to merge libic with libpixregion, renaming the
  whole thing libpixman. That should help a lot. Just waiting for
  someone to do the work...

and did that.  So I've taken the CVS versions of libpixregion, libic
and slim and made a new library libpixman version 0.1.0 which
exports a header pixman.h (merge of pixregion.h and ic.h).

Then I patched cairo to use it, and tried the cairo-demo programs
against that which works.

Carl also said:
  The only other question is what to do about slim. And I don't know the
  right answer for that.

Slim was only ever used in libic, libpixregion and libcairo.
I've put the actual headers in libpixman and then
made a tiny patch to cairo to add the few things it wanted.  Not
perfect but works.  Alternately, the files could be copied between
the two packages, in the unlikely event the slim files ever changed.
Or even done with some CVS sub module magic (yuck).

Some issues that remain include the rather complex COPYING file,
similarly I'd what to do with ChangeLog and AUTHORS.

So, in http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/people/cmdjb/2003/12/cairo/
there is:

libpixman-0.1.0.tar.gz
(make distcheck works; builds on a machine with no cairo headers
installed)

cairo-pixman.patch
for cairo 0.1.16 to add the few slim things, update the pkg-config
dependencies.

Dave