[Xr] xr on Microsoft Windows

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sat Jul 12 08:28:40 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 23:43, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> On July 11, 2003 10:16 pm, Keith Packard wrote:
> > Of course, the first job is to figure out what to call this library
> > -- once the X dependency has been removed, we'll have to call the
> > library 'r' which seems more than a little silly...
>
> postxr ('post' as in "postscript" and post as in "the library formally
> know as").
>
> Then in grand unix tradition we'll say: "it's spelt 'postxr' but it's
> really pronounced 'poster'", or something to that effect. :-)

As someone with much experience with speaking about GTK+ I'd really,
really advise avoiding this. (*)

I don't see a problem with keeping the name Xr even not on X. It's
not like the X Window System managed a monopoly on the letter X.

Perhaps a more obvious-what-it-is name would be better anyways -
but I wouldn't change it just because of the X. And the big problem
with nice obvious names is that they are all taken.

Regards,
					owen

(*) for those not in the know, the + in GTK+ is silent