[Xr] Naming Xr (and linguistic nitpicking)

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Sun Jul 13 19:30:19 PDT 2003

On Saturday 12 July 2003 11:48 am, Robert, Francois wrote:

> What about Wr for windows, Mr for mac, Lr for Linux/Unix/X, and Xr in
> general where "X" stands for a wildcard ? ("X" has a long traditionnal use
> as a "don't care" indicator for instance when describing bitwise flags in
> bytes or words, in electronic component datasheets for instance) ?

I like this idea. Xr would be the definition of the portable interface.
Various implementations would all end in 'r'. This would not only indicate
what system it was for but may identify competing implementations. It would
be like all the file systems ending in "fs".

--
     /\_       _|_========___         Bill Spitzak