[Xr] Naming Xr (and linguistic nitpicking)

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Tue Jul 15 11:49:53 PDT 2003

On Jul 12, Robert, Francois wrote:
 > What about Wr for windows, Mr for mac, Lr for Linux/Unix/X, and Xr in
 > general where "X" stands for a wildcard ? ("X" has a long traditionnal use
 > as a "don't care" indicator for instance when describing bitwise flags in
 > bytes or words, in electronic component datasheets for instance) ?

The problem with this approach is that we want to emphasize the fact
that there is a single drawing library independent of any particular
target platform. Naming each backend uniquely divides rather than
unifies.

Already, there has been some problem caused by the fact that the
backend-abstraction layer has a name, (Xc). The solution there is to
merge Xr/Xc into a single library, (whose name we are trying to
resolve).