[Cairo] Color transforms

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Fri Jul 18 13:08:58 PDT 2003

On Jul 18, Thorsten.Behrens at Sun.COM wrote:
 > I don't see the point here. By definition, your PNG rendering code does
 > not care about printing, and does not have to. So in neither scenario will
 > it contain anything specific to printing.

No, of course not.

The point I was trying to make is that, as much as possible, I'd like
the interface for generating PostScript/PDF/SVG to be as simple as any
other image type, (X11, PNG, etc.). Ideally, it's just a different
type of image.

 > As others said, PDF has loads of specialities. I don't think it's wise to
 > provide all that in cairo.

I have no plans to support any of that stuff in Cairo.

 > I'm currently asking myself whether font embedding is necessary at the
 > interface, but probably one can also handle that transparently within the
 > device-specific driver.

The font/text API is the most open question in Cairo right now. Keith
and I will be together at OLS next week. I'm hoping we can have a
reasonable first attempt put together before the end of the week.