[Cairo] Odd crash in cairo-demo/xrspline

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Mon Jul 28 16:48:32 PDT 2003

On Jul 28, Eric Christopherson wrote:
 > I seem to suffer a consistently reproducible crash when running the demo
 > program xrspline. Upon running it, the X server itself crashes hard; it
 > doesn't do any cleanup such as setting the keyboard or video back to their
 > old states.

The server crash is obviously a bad sign. Cairo should not be able to
crash the server so there is at least a bug in the server or driver
somewhere, (not to say that there isn't a Cairo bug tickling it).

 > 648             if (!XPending(win->dpy) && win->needs_refresh) {

My guess is the XPending call is causing previous requests to flush
and one of those is actually triggering the problem. Why don't you try
adding the following call right before the call to win_init:

	XSynchronize (dpy, 1);

That might give a little more insight into what's causing the server
such grief.

Another thing to try would be to configure your server with a
different driver to see if the problem goes away. If so, that would of
course be very helpful to know.