[Cairo] Text API proposal

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Jul 30 07:24:41 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 04:52, Thorsten Behrens wrote:

> That sounds reasonable. The only thing we need to use Cairo portably is a
> high-level text interface. Do you still think that the proposed Cairo
> glyph render API suffices for Windows? As we've said, Uniscribe and glyph
> output on Windows are extremely hard to separate.

Seems to work for Pango - the code to convert string to positioned
glyphs is in:

http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/pango/modules/basic/basic-win32.c

Then the drawing goes on in

 http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/pango/pango/pangowin32.c

(pango_win32_render()) using ExtTextOutW() and the ETO_GLYPH_INDEX
flag.

You are basically reimplementing the ScriptTextOut() call of
Uniscribe, but I don't think it does anything magic that isn't
available to Win32 applications.

Regards,
					Owen