[Cairo] Re: [xsvg] cairo_text_extents ?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Nov 25 14:09:01 PST 2003

Around 10 o'clock on Nov 25, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> My preference is to make everything signed and in the identical coordinate
> system, where 0,0 is the current text position on the baseline. The names can
> then be:

Yeah, I tried that with Xft and ended up confusing everyone horribly.
Instead of inventing our own labeling scheme, we should just steal an
existing one.  The X one is at least known to most people using existing X
interfaces and shares 'left side bearing' with postscript.  Let's get
metric conventions from existing systems and see if there's anything like
a concensus.

-keith