[Cairo] Cairo on older X servers, (eg. with Render version 0.2)

Duncan Mak duncan at ximian.com
Mon Oct 13 13:31:50 PDT 2003

Hello Lars,

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 05:27, Lars Segerlund wrote:
>   I have checked out cairo from the new cvs, and now it build's and
> runs on an old xserver ( 4.2 ), I still don't get all the graphics, (
> some are not output, but now I'm looking at it ).

I'm trying to build Cairo packages for Mono and I'm running into
problems with Render and XRender on older distributions.

On RedHat 9, render is there for distributing render.pc, since the
version of /usr/X11R6/include/X11/extensions/render.h distributed by
XFree86-devel-4.3.0-2 is identical to the version in Render CVS. The
same is basically true for Xrender.h.

On RedHat 8, the system-provided render.h and Xrender.h (from
XFree86-devel-4.2.1-21) are significantly different from versions in
CVS.

Without rebuilding XFree86-devel for older distributions (RedHat 8 and
SuSE 8.2), is there a way to get around this problem for packaging
Render and Xrender? I don't think it's possible for a new package
(render, xrender) to provide a file that is already part of an existing
package (XFree86-devel).

Duncan.