[Cairo] Cairo on older X servers, (eg. with Render version 0.2)

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Wed Oct 15 09:29:23 PDT 2003

On Oct 12, Keith Packard wrote:
 > I'd like cairo_erase to be implicitly called at cairo_set_target_surface
 > time unless the application specifies otherwise.

I like this idea. I'll go ahead and add the implicit erase before
exposing either cairo_surface or any sort of mark_dirty call. Then, we
can wait to add those functions until they can address an actual need.

 > 	void
 > 	cairo_flush (cairo_t *cr);
 >
 > I'd like to see if we can't make this call unnecessary in essentially all
 > cases.  Xlib provides extension hooks to track calls to XFlush; with
 > sufficient care, I think we could take advantage of that to push cairo
 > changes across the wire in a timely fashion.

Interesting. I'll try this out and see if I can't get something working.

 > cairo_flush may still be needed to synchronize within an
 > application when mixing cairo and non-cairo rendering calls.

Yes. And again, we can wait to add it until it addresses some user
need.

Thanks for you efforts to keep the API small and manageable.