[Cairo] format for api docs

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue Oct 21 17:00:13 PDT 2003

A year or 18 months more ago, I was chatting with Eric Raymond,
and he said that the tools "sucked" (he cares alot about documentation
and tools for it, it turns out).

A month or two ago, we had a similar discussion, and his
comment/claim was that the tools didn't suck anymore.

So I suspect going at it with an open mind is worth it at this date:
and your opinion of a while ago is right on that of many
other people in that time frame, so you are right on being
more than a bit suspicious...
                              - Jim

So I'd question
On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 17:21, Carol Spears wrote:
> James Henstridge wrote:
> >
> > On 18/10/03 05:20, Carol Spears wrote:
> >
> > >That is the thing, it might have been a bad combination of debian and
> > >gtk, but I could not build gtk2 without specific software.
> > >
> > >It has been a while, and I tend to remember the grumpy part the easiest.
> > >I might even opt to have the software that they were insisting that I
> > >use, but there was not going to be a chance to try other things.
> > >

> > If you have been had trouble with gtk-doc in the past, this was because
> > it took Debian more than a year to sort out their XML toolchain (in
> > particular, registering things in the catalog).
> >
> > Apparently this has now been fixed, so converting DocBook/XML files
> > should be as easy on Debian as it is on other distros.
> >
> I attempted to work with docbook.  I worked with the whole docbook, and
> with the smaller docbook and with web site docbook.
>
> My issues are not just with debian, although, I do remember that I did
> get a patch from someone to get the docbook docs to work on debian way
> back when.
>
> I know the difference between a distributions problems and mine.  I did
> need some time to remember.
>
> I have an issue with how it is layed out.  I had a real bad issue with
> olink vs ulink as well, I am just unable to remember what the trouble is
> and cannot get time to play with it again to explain exactly what the
> trouble was.  I really really detested olink.  That I remember.
>
> carol

Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys at hp.com>
HP Labs, Cambridge Research Laboratory