[Cairo] Ruby/Cairo 0.1

Evan Martin martine at danga.com
Tue Oct 28 12:17:17 PST 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:50:00AM +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> Python is in a similar situation.  For the Python bindings I did, I just
> provided an helper module that could create a cairo surface from a
> GdkDrawable or GdkPixbuf (for Xlib based GTK), so that it would
> integrate with PyGTK.  It should be relatively simple to add similar
> helper modules for other X based toolkits that have Python wrappers.

I couldn't help but think, after I had written my autogeneration script,
that we could have shared some work.  Does GTK still use that .defs
system?  Would a similar system work for Cairo?  (Weren't you
responsible for all of that?  Sorry, my knowledge of this is vague... I
really ought to read through your Cairo bindings and verify you haven't
already done all of this.)

> Given that Owen has expressed interest in using Cairo directly in GTK at
> some unspecified point in the future, the GTK helper module will
> probably disapear when that happens.

Until then, it would seem appropriate to make a GtkSourceView-style
addon library.  It seems doubtful GTK would want to add Cairo as a base
dependency anytime soon...

--
Evan Martin
martine at danga.com