[cairo] Fwd: Re: [Mesa3d-dev] more glitz points

David Reveman c99drn at cs.umu.se
Wed Apr 21 08:33:38 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 09:33 -0700, Jon Smirl wrote:

> [...]

You're probably right, and I'd love if someone would contribute with
some code that could do this. Although I think it might be hard make it
work with glitz's rendering model (the xrender model). It might also be
hard to make it support the different spread types; pad, repeat and
reflect.

> > >     Figure ~\ref{fig:linear-gradients} shows the results from using
> > >     programmatic surfaces for linear color gradients.
> > >

> > >     \begin{figure}[htbp]
> > >       \begin{centering}
> > >         \epsfig{file=linear-gradients.eps}
> > >         \small\itshape
> > >         \caption{\small\itshape Programmatic surfaces used for linear
> > >                                 color gradients}
> > >         \label{fig:linear-gradients}
> > >       \end{centering}
> > >     \end{figure}
> > >

> > >     \subsection{Convolution Filters}
> >
> > It's not clear if the position of the gradients is window-relative or
> > object-relative, BTW.

window-relative.

> > >     Convolutions can be used to perform many common image processing
> > operations
> > >     including sharpening, blurring, noise reduction, embossing and
> > >     edge enhancement.
> > >

> > >     A convolution is a mathematical function that replaces each pixel by a
> > >     weighted sum of its neighbors. The matrix defining the neighborhood of
> > >     the pixel also specifies the weight assigned to each neighbor. This
> > >     matrix is called the convolution kernel.
> > >

> > >     \Libname{} supports user defined convolution kernels. If a
> > >     convolution kernel has been set for a surface, the convolution filter
> > >     will be applied when the surface is used as a source in a compositing
> > >     operation. The original source surface remains unmodified.
> > >

> > >     In \libname{}, convolution filtering is implemented using fragment
> > >     programs and is only available on hardware with fragment program
> > support.
> > >     The alternative would be to use OpenGL's imaging extension, which would
> > >     require a transfer of all pixels through OpenGL's pixel pipeline to an
> > >     intermediate texture. Even though the alternative method would be
> > >     supported by older hardware, \libname{} uses fragment programs in favor
> > >     of performance.
> >
> > Fragment programs would be fine for convolution, but I hope a lack of
> > fragment programs wouldn't totally preclude the feature.

Glitz is design for the latest graphics hardware and fragment programs
seems to be the way to go lately. So I don't see this as a problem.
Cairo can use image buffers as fall back, if glitz report that graphics
hardware lack support for fragment programs. Slow of course, but it
would work.

> > >     \subsubsection{Useful Convolution Kernels}
> > >

> > >     Table~\ref{table:conv} presents three useful convolution kernels and
> > >     figure ~\ref{fig:conv_original} and ~\ref{fig:conv_gaussian} show the
> > >     results of filtering an image using a Gaussian convolution kernel.
> > >
> > > Examples of Guassian, High Pass, Emboss

solid color fill and repeated patterns don't need fragment program
support. I'm sure that we never say that in the paper.

> > > =====
> > > Jon Smirl
> > > jonsmirl at yahoo.com

> > > Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25
> > > http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash
> > >

> =====
> Jon Smirl
> jonsmirl at yahoo.com