[cairo] Re: [Dri-devel] Gains from doing 2D drawing using OpenGL/mesa

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 13:32:13 PDT 2004

I'm cc'ing this back to the cairo list since they did the orginal benchmarking.
Maybe be someone there can do an i815 or sis315 run for you. I don't have that
type of hardware. I suppose that any type of IGP chipset graphics would do the
trick.

--- Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mer, 2004-04-21 at 02:03, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > coming of MS Longhorn is going to cause of shift in typical PC
> configurations to
> > ship with 3D hardware standard. Microsoft is going to cause this shift no
> matter
> > what happens with Linux. It's just up to us to decide if we want to take
> > advantage of it.
>
> Clearly we do 8). Its not clear that the 3D hardware will be the final
> result, we may see 3D textur render/triangle setup in the CPU instead by
> then but either way the same holds

I'm not sure we'll ever see that. Memory bandwidth is the problem, not CPU/GPU
processing power. You want to keep the setup with the GPU to minimize the memory
load on the main processor.

I think a more interesting development is full virtual memory suppport in the
GPU and then couple that with a hyper-transport interface instead of
AGP/PCI-Express. The hyper-transport link would let both processors get at the
video memory at full speed but also keep the GPU traffic from interfering with
the main CPU. If the GPU runs out of memory it could transparently spill over
into system memory.

> > BTW there is almost no price difference anymore for low end 3D hardware
> versus
> > low end 2D hardware. Playing around on pricewatch they're both about $35.
>
> Do you have 2d rendering numbers using something like i810 or sis315 for
> the gl based 2D ?

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com