[cairo] Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Points in Cairo Glitz paper

Peter Nilsson c99pnn at cs.umu.se
Thu Apr 22 10:56:48 PDT 2004

Ok, this is what went down with glitz. When we first started the work
behind glitz we wanted to see if we could implement a library after
Render semantics that is fairly well accelerated by hardware, using
OpenGL. We have tried to let people know what's been going on with the
development process, but no real opinions about the solution have
reached us up until now.

We shouldn't view Glitz as a being a final solution right now, more like
a playground for trying to find the best possible way to go. Just
because the paper is written about the current implementation doesn't in
any way mean that design is frozen. Some changes to Cairo has been made
recently to make it work better with glitz. More changes could be made
if they are motivated by better performance / hw-support without
comprimizing the fundamental ideas behind Cairo's design.

This is what we have to play with. All creative criticism and new ideas
are much appreciated, and we will keep trying to make the best possible
OpenGL support for Cairo within the rules of the game. This offcourse
cannot be done without experts like all of you guys now raising your
voices, so thanks, keep the good stuff coming. :)

- Peter

--
Peter Nilsson ( c99pnn at cs.umu.se )