[cairo] Antialiasing not working with glitz

Charles Tuckey ctuckey at verano.com
Fri Apr 30 13:53:25 PDT 2004

Ok, got it working. None of the cards used OpenGL antialiasing methods
by default so they had to be turned on.

For the nvidia GeForce2 cards this is done with the environment variable
__GL_FSAA_MODE = 3 or 4. For the ATI card it is done during setup of the
driver.

Thank you all for your replies; they were informative and educational.

charlie

Charles Tuckey wrote:
> I am using the latest cairo (0.1.22), glitz (0.1.0) and libpixman
> (0.1.1) libraries to display an ellipse on a Linux OS. I noticed that
> pixman displays the ellipse with antialiasing but that the opengl
> version does not have antialiasing. My example program is based on the
> cairogears demo program.
>
> We have tested this on three different graphics cards running with the
> latest available drivers:
>   GeForce 2 MX
>   GeForce 2 FX
>   ATI Radeon 9800
>
> Does anyone have an idea why this might be? I have screenshots if they
> would help.
>
> Here is the code I use to create the glitz surface:
>
>   GtkWidget *window = SWT.Shell.handle;   // pseudo code
>   gtk_widget_set_double_buffered (window, FALSE);
>
>   GdkDrawable *drawable;
>   gint x_offset, y_offset;
>   gdk_window_get_internal_paint_info (window->window,
>                       &drawable, &x_offset, &y_offset);
>   Display *dpy = GDK_WINDOW_XDISPLAY(drawable);
>
>   glitz_format_t *format =
>     glitz_glx_find_standard_format (dpy, DefaultScreen (dpy),
>                                     GLITZ_FORMAT_OPTION_ONSCREEN_MASK,
>                                     GLITZ_STANDARD_RGB24);
>
>   Window win = GDK_WINDOW_XID(window->window);
>   glitz_surface_t *glitz_surface =
>       glitz_glx_surface_create_for_window (dpy, DefaultScreen (dpy),
>                                            format, win);
>

> thanks,
> charlie

Charles Tuckey, MSc.
Software Developer
Verano, Inc.
403.299.4765

  © Copyright 2004 Verano Inc. owns copyright content of this document
and all attachments unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved.
Users of Verano Inc. software and tools associated with the software
such as sales & marketing collateral, presentations, user manuals,
training documentation etc. may not republish nor reproduce in whole or
in part the information, in any form or by any means, in any manner
whatsoever without the prior written permission of Verano Inc., and any
such unauthorized use constitutes copyright infringement. An
acknowledgement of the source must be included whenever Verano Inc.
material is copied or published. If you require further information on a
permitted use or license to reproduce or republish any material, address
your inquiry to Verano Inc.Suite 120, 575 West Street, Mansfield,
Massachusetts, 02048-1164. Any infringement of Verano Inc. rights  will
result in appropriate legal action. Verano Inc. disclaims any and all
liability for any consequences which may result from any unauthorized
reproduction or use of this Work whatsoever.