[cairo] Mozilla Developer day notes

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Sat Aug 7 11:12:04 PDT 2004

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Evan Martin wrote:
> There was also the general discussion of how Mozilla wants to become
> more of a community player in terms of using external code
>
> However, I prodded Mike Shaver a bit more afterwards about it and he
> said their biggest problem with Cairo is the license.
>
> I got the impression Cairo would have to do some dual-licensing MPL hack
> to make it work

If they're serious about using external code from the community, then
they'll need to come to grips with the fact that open source projects
use (L)GPL moreso than the MPL.  I think you've got a good point that
changing the world to suit one app is unrealistic.  A more easily
scalable solution for them would be for Mozilla to figure out how to
include (L)GPL code.

(I admittedly deserve part of the blame for this - I was involved with
the discussions that resulted in the MPL and wish I'd faught harder to
make it more GPL-compatible; there were other considerations at the time
though.)

Bryce