[cairo] external backends

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Aug 8 15:38:57 PDT 2004

Around 15 o'clock on Aug 8, Ross McFarland wrote:

> in the past the thought had crossed my mind about an application
> providing it's own custom cairo backend.

The original cairo design included a well defined backend API, but after
we implemented several different backends and discovered that each one
required significant changes in the backend-API, we decided that it would
be better (at least for now) to keep the backends integrated into the
library and wait for that interface to stablize before attempting to
publish that as a standard part of the library.

So, it's not because we don't want a stable and documented API for
backends, it's because we haven't figured out how yet.

-keith