[cairo] Re: License for cairo changed to LGPL

Jost Boekemeier jost2345 at yahoo.de
Tue Aug 10 10:33:30 PDT 2004

> this prevents our users on embedded systems
> from creating a applications that do not
> offer the LGPL requirements

I thought the mono libraries are under LGPL, too.

Well, even if certain .NET libraries are released
under the MIT license -- probably in order to avoid
compatibility problems with MS "shared source license"
--, I think your customers cannot use the whole system
anyway.  What do you or your company gain by allowing
someone to freely use, modify and sell those parts of
your original work on CE .NET?

Regarding dynamic linking: I may be wrong, but I'd say
that if the resources of the embedded system are so
limited that it does not even support shared
libraries, then your customer will have a big problem
running a complete VM on this system anyway.

Jost