[cairo] Re: License for cairo changed to LGPL

John Luke john.luke at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 11:28:22 PDT 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:59:55 -0400, Miguel de Icaza <miguel at ximian.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> [
>   I wont be able to read any replies until two weeks from now
>   as am going on vacation -miguel
> ]
>
> > > this prevents our users on embedded systems
> > > from creating a applications that do not
> > > offer the LGPL requirements
> >
> > I thought the mono libraries are under LGPL, too.
>
> They are dual licensed and they are offered without the linking
> restriction to folks that need so.
>
> Those who needed that paid for the work to get Mono on PPC (Linux and
> MacOS) and also paid for the precompilation of binaries (Ahead of Time
> compilation) and a few hooks to do real time systems.
>
> We can do that as we own the whole copyright of Mono, but am afraid that
> Cairo going GPL without copyright assignment and a path to have
> proprietary extensions will not permit that use.

<snip>

Well, as far as I can tell the mysql provider and SharpZipLib (maybe
another 3rd party lib) are not dual licensed in that way which is
where the confusion comes in I think.  Although, they are probably not
as useful on the embedded systems, and hence irrelevent to this
argument.

Also, I think you meant LGPL not GPL at the end.
Sorry, for nitpicking.