[cairo] Chaco DisplayPDF with Antigrain Internals

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Tue Aug 17 08:00:00 PDT 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:26:59 -0700, "M. Evans" wrote:
> My impression is the Cairo suits static display pages, not anything
> interactive or animated.

We certainly intend it to be usable for interactive and animated 2D
graphics. We're not done yet, but some people are having fun with it
already.

> Some have questioned the need for pixel-level accuracy, e.g.

Cairo does not guarantee a pixel-level accurate API.

For example, take a look at the differences in the following
screenshots:

	http://www.cs.umu.se/~c99drn/pics/

These were rendered with cairo, but some with the glitz backend and some
with cairo's software backend (pixman). The results are similar in all
cases, but obviously not pixel-accurate. And those slightly less-precise
results from glitz come at speeds that are up to hundreds of times
faster.

David and Peter's presented a paper at the USENIX Annual Technical
conference this year that details the speedups possible with glitz.

I hope one of them will reply here with a pointer to a full-text version
of that paper.